Before you begin:
Provide users with the ability to interact with your Pega Intelligent Virtual Assistant™ (IVA) in Facebook Messenger. By interacting with your chatbot on Facebook Messenger, users
have a convenient, everyday messaging app available to resolve issues or request more
help in your application.
For example, for a travel agency application,
customers can interact with your chatbot in Facebook Messenger to cancel their flight.
Note: You use your Facebook Admin account to authorize the Pega Facebook App to retrieve
Facebook messages that the system posts to your selected Facebook pages on your
behalf. Your Facebook account must be an Admin of the Facebook pages in order to
provide this authorization. You cannot use your Facebook Admin account to authorize
a Facebook page for Unified Messaging in more than one Pega
application at the same time, but you can use a Facebook Admin account to add
multiple Facebook pages to the same application. When using Facebook, one Facebook
page can have multiple Admins.
- Configure Unified Messaging channel security settings. For
more information, see Configuring Unified Messaging channel security.
- If you do not have an IVA for Unified Messaging, create a
Unified Messaging channel. For more information, see Creating a Unified Messaging channel.
- If you do not have a Facebook Admin account and one or more Facebook pages,
create them. For more information, refer to the Facebook developer portal.
You access the Digital Messaging Manager in the Unified Messaging channel to configure individual messaging accounts in one
place for your application.
- In the header of Dev Studio, click the name of the application, and then click
Channels and interfaces.
- In the Current channel interfaces section, click the icon
that represents your existing Unified Messaging channel.
- In the Unified Messaging channel, click the
- Click Integration Manager.
- In the Digital Messaging Manager window, click
Add Connection, and then click the
- If you are not signed on to your Facebook account in the browser, log in to
- On the Facebook login page, enter the email address and password for
your Facebook account.
- Click Log In.
Note: The account you use must be an admin of the Facebook page that you want
- In the displayed window, click Continue as <YOUR
- In the page selection window for your Facebook page application, select the
check box for the Facebook page that you will use with your Pega Platform application, and then click
- Review the permissions for your Facebook page, and then click
This action ensures that you give permission to your Facebook page app to send
and receive messages on behalf of the IVA channel.Result: The window displays information that your Facebook page is now linked to
your Unified Messaging channel.
- Click OK.Result: The system displays information that the authorization for your Facebook
page was successful, and displays a list of all of your configured messaging
- Close the browser window, and then in the Unified Messaging
channel, click Save.