Pega Platform developers use Agile practices to create applications and commit the changes into branches in a shared development environment. Automated and manual testing provides rapid feedback to developers so that they can improve the application.
Follow these best practices to optimize the development process:
- Leverage multiple built-on applications to develop and process smaller component applications. Smaller applications move through the pipeline faster and are easier to develop, test, and maintain.
- Create one Pega Platform instance as a source environment that acts as a single source of truth for the application. This introduces stability into the developer environment and ensures that a problem in one developer environment does not affect other environments.
- Use Pega Platform developer tools, for example:
- The rule compare feature allows you to see the differences between two versions of a specific rule.
- The rule form search tool allows you to find a specific rule in your application.
- Follow branch-based development practices:
- Developers can work on a shared development environment or local environments.
- Content in branches migrates from the development environments to merge into the source environment.
- Create an archive by exporting and storing backup versions of each branch in a separate location in the application repository. If a corrupted system state requires you to restore the source environment to a previous known good application version, the branches can be down-merged to reapply the changes in those branches that were lost as part of the restore.
- Use unit tests to ensure quality.
- Ensure that the work on a ruleset is reviewed and that the changes are validated. Lock every complete and validated ruleset.
- Regularly synchronize the development environments with the source environment.