The Application Document wizard is a DCO feature you can use to create professional looking documents that capture application and implementation assets throughout a development project's lifecycle. In addition, the wizard allows you to save your selected content and data criteria to a named document setting that can be reused to generate standard application and project documents.
This article describes the V6.1 Application Document wizard. For V6.2, see DCO 6.2 - Using the Application Document Wizard.
Documents are based on Microsoft Word templates you also can customize and extend to meet your organization's document styles and standards.
Launching the Wizard
Select > Application > Tools > Document.
When the wizard starts, a list of steps you take to select document content displays on the left side of the screen.
- Select Application - selects the application you want to document, the template, and whether you want to use previously saved document settings
- Select RuleSets - selects the RuleSets
- Select Work Types - selects the work types and use case categories of the individual work types
- Select Criteria - selects the general level of document detail, the chapters and tables, and the rule detail
- to include for the work types
- Order Flows - sets the display order of flows
- Define Diagrams - sets the criteria for including entity relationship diagrams (ERD); then, creates and displays the diagrams for review and edit
- Define Screen shot Data - sets up work object data for models that are applied to screen shots of flow components
- Capture Screens - captures screen shots of harnesses, flow actions and correspondence based on a selected display style
- Create Document - creates the document in Microsoft Word based on the settings selected; allows you to edit and save the document
Selecting Content and Settings
The wizard guides you through the process of selecting document content. For each step:
- Select the content and level of data and detail you want to include in the document.
For help, click on the header of each step to display instructions in a separate window that can help you complete the step.
- Click Next >> to move to the next step.
- Click a step to return to that step or click <<Back to return to the previous step.
- Click Save to create a new saved setting or to save changes to previously saved settings.
When you save a new setting, enter a name that describes the document setting and click OK to save it. It appears in the settings list the next time you run the wizard.
- Click Cancel to exit the wizard.
Creating the Document
- Click the Create Document step.
- Click Create Document to launch Microsoft Word in a separate window where it compiles the settings, screen shots, and rule information into a professional looking document.
- When the document opens, review and edit it.
- Save it to a local file.
- Click Close to exit the wizard.
- Click Delete if you want to remove the named setting.
Using Previously Saved Settings
You can use previously saved settings to incrementally track and compare changes to the application over the life of a project. When you select this option, the wizard uses the selection and data criteria that were saved for the application and version allowing you to skip all steps and go directly to Create Document with one exception: if your document contains screen captures, you must go to the Capture Screens and generate them again before creating the document.
Formatting and Adding Text Document Templates
Use these steps to copy and configure simple formatting and text changes to the templates used by the wizard.
Note: For more advanced customization instructions including how to add rules and selection criteria to the wizard steps, replace images for screen shots and flow diagrams, filter property references, and incorporate those features in a template, see DCO 6.1 - Extending the Document Wizard and Document Templates.
Templates are instances of the Word Template rules named PegaAccel-Task-DocumentApp.ApplicationDocument and .ProjectDocument in the Pega-AppDefinition RuleSet.
- The application document content is focused on the structural rules and business elements of the application you are building.
- The project document content is similar but supplemented with static project-related information.
- In the Search tool located in the header of the Designer Studio, enter the keyword ProjectDocument or ApplicationDocument. Press Enter.
- Select the Word Template instance.
- Enter a new template name and Save it to a RuleSet that lists the Pega-AppDefinition RuleSet as a prerequisite.
- Enter a short but meaningful description of the template. This text appears in the Template list on the Select Application step of the wizard.
- Select Document Application as the template category.
- Click Edit Word Template to display and edit the template. For more information about setting up Template rules, see the PDN article How to use Word Template-based Correspondence Generation.
- Save the template.
- Click Upload File.
- When the load completes, click Save.
This article links to the following articles describing features and functions of the DCO 6.1 release.
Return to About the Direct Capture of Objectives