This article provides information about Pega Cloud Services maintenance. This information is provided for planning purposes, and is subject to change at the discretion of Pega.
Periodic system maintenance is essential to maintaining the on-going stability and security of your Pega Cloud Services environments, as well as to the evolution of Pega Cloud. Periodic maintenance ensures your Pega Cloud Services environments stay up-to-date with software updates and patches, and can make use of the latest features and services included in Pega Cloud Services.
Pega will strive to minimize the impact of maintenance to your Pega Cloud Services application and its availability. For questions, contact Pegasystems Global Client Support.
There are two types of maintenance for Pega Cloud Services: standard maintenance and emergency maintenance. This section describes the differences between the two types of maintenance.
Standard maintenance includes all scheduled Pega Cloud Services update and update events. See the section Standard maintenance activities for further information about the kinds of service maintenance covered by this category.
Standard maintenance will only be scheduled during an available Maintenance Window. Pega will provide advance notice of Standard Maintenance at least five (5) days prior to the work commencing.
Emergency maintenance includes all maintenance performed with immediate or near-immediate timing to remediate or avoid an incident, or to address modifications as mandated by Pega. See the section Emergency maintenance activities for further information about the kinds of system maintenance covered by this category.
Emergency maintenance may be performed outside of a maintenance window. Pega will attempt to provide but cannot guarantee delivery of advanced notification for an emergency maintenance event.
Standard maintenance activities
Examples of standard maintenance activities include the following items:
- Pega Cloud infrastructure updates: Pega updates the supporting infrastructure services of each environment, including the database, Tomcat application server, and Java, to include the latest security and performance benefits, service enhancements, and new capabilities. For more information, see the Pega Cloud Services Release Notes. Infrastructure updates are zero-downtime and do not change the Pega software running in the Pega Cloud environment. If you have environments running old networking topologies, Pega may perform a one-time, zero-downtime network migration to the latest enhanced networking infrastructure, which require your approval. For details, see Network migration: benefits and impacts. For details about the Pega Cloud infrastructure update process and the expected experience, see:
- Pega Platform and CRM application patches
starting with Pega Infinity:
Pega applies cumulative Pega Platform patches and releases of the latest Pega Platform 8.x software to your environments and the suite
of customer relationship management (CRM) applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. Each patch includes important
security, supportability, and reliability improvements and bug fixes. The
bug fixes are based on a wide range of client feedback, which ensures that
you have access to addressed issues across each Pega Infinity release. Patch application is zero-downtime and
includes only rule changes observed between the patch and the current
version; patches do not require a cloned environment for validation. For
more information about Pega Platform and CRM patches, see
Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved
Issues Download. For details about the Pega Cloud patch installation process and the expected
- Patch process for Pega Infinity release 8.3 and later
- Patch process for Pega Infinity 8.2 releases
- To review the patch support policies, see Pega software maintenance and extended support policy.
Pega Platform and CRM application software updates:Pega updates the environment to the latest major or minor software versions of Pega Platform and the suite of CRM applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. With each software update,Pega commits to making Pega Platform and Pega application software changes that are backwards compatible and include the latest security updates, capabilities, feature enhancements, performance improvements, and supportability enhancements. Software updates for Pega Cloud environments include a cloned environment for validation.
Pega implements a two-phased software update process consisting of a basic update phase and a feature adoption phase. With the basic update phase, you can benefit from the latest performance and security improvements without affecting your existing Pega applications. After the basic update is complete, you can use the feature adoption phase to take advantage of the latest Pega Infinity and application features using your standard DevOps process. The update process features update assessment tools, an updated, cloned environment to complete compatibility testing, and testing orchestration with update pipeline in Deployment Manager. Pega supports both an update from Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier (with some downtime) and an update from Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later (with near-zero downtime) of the Pega Infinity software in your environment:
- Pega Infinity updates starting from version 8.4.2 feature a near-zero-downtime process, so your environment remains available throughout the update process. It also includes a Go-NoGo phase during the production update in which you perform a final confidence check of your applications. Pega updates the production environment only after you indicate a go approval. The entire update process usually takes around 15 days. For details about the minor Pega Cloud update process and the expected experience, see Pega Cloud Services update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later.
- Software updates from previous versions may require downtime and some post-update steps. The entire update process usually takes around 30 days. For details about the major Pega Cloud update process and the expected experience, see Pega Cloud Services update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier.
Emergency maintenance activities
Examples of emergency activities include:
- Critical Hotfix Deployment: Pega installs and subsequently commits Pega Platform and/or Pega application software hotfixes that Pega deems critical to the continued availability and security of your Pega Cloud Services system. Critical hotfixes address issues that may compromise the availability, stability, or security of the system, and your installation is not optional. Critical hotfixes may be deployed with little to no advance notice to remediate or avoid an incident. Critical hotfixes are committed within 7 days after the initial installation, providing time to evaluate the correct function of the hotfix and to roll back the changes if necessary. While these hotfixes are not optional, Pegasystems Inc. will take reasonable steps to reduce the disruption of these changes to your Pega Cloud Services systems.
Pega makes a reasonable effort to not undertake scheduled standard maintenance that falls outside of your standard maintenance window. Pegasystems Inc. maintenance communications to your always include the maintenance window times. Pegasystems Inc. will make a reasonable effort to not undertake scheduled standard maintenance for more than 8 hours a month.
Pega performs maintenance activities that are near zero-downtime during the scheduled standard maintenance window on either weekends or on weekdays between 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. local time in the Amazon AWS Region of the deployed environment. Most maintenance activity typically last a few hours; review the maintenance communications from Pegasystems Inc. for the anticipated duration time for the upcoming maintenance activity. See the table below for the local times of each Amazon AWS Region.
Pega will work with you to try to define a standard maintenance window to occur when you know you environment usage patterns are at the lowest levels and the default window is not sufficient for your needs. If you need to specify a non-default window, you can make a request by selecting New request in My Support Portal. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.
For commercial Pega Cloud Services accounts:
|AWS Region||Local Time Zone|
|Asia Pacific (Hong Kong): ap-east-1||HKT (Hong Kong Time)|
|Asia Pacific (Singapore): ap-southeast-1||SGT (Singapore Time)|
|Asia Pacific (Sydney): ap-southeast-2||AEST* (Australian Eastern Standard Time)|
|Asia Pacific (Tokyo): ap-northeast-1||JST (Japanese Standard Time)|
|Asia Pacific (Mumbai): ap-south-1||Mumbai (India - Maharashtra)|
|Canada (Central): ca-central-1||ET* (Eastern Time)|
|EU (Frankfurt): eu-central-1||CET* (Central European Time)|
|EU (Ireland): eu-west-1||IST* (Irish Standard Time)|
|EU (London): eu-west-2||BST* (British Standard Time)|
|EU (Milan): eu-south-1||CET* (Central European Time)|
|EU (Paris): eu-west-3||CET* (Central European Time)|
|EU (Stockholm): eu-north-1||CET* (Central European Time)|
|Middle East (Bahrain): me-south-1||AST (Arabia Standard Time)|
|South America (São Paulo): sa-east-1||BRT* (Brasília Time)|
|US East (N. Virginia): us-east-1||ET* (Eastern Time)|
|US East (Ohio): us-east-2||ET* (Eastern Time)|
|US West (N. California): us-west-1||PT* (Pacific Time)|
|US West (Oregon): us-west-2||PT* (Pacific Time)|
*Participates in Daylight Savings Time.
Contact GCS for more information.