With the Pega Platform patch release process, you apply the latest, important security, supportability and reliability improvements and bug fixes since the last minor release.
Pega patches apply only changes observed between the patch and your currently running version, which ensures backwards compatibility and no regressions or feature updates that could negatively impact your application functionality. Fixes included in patches are based on a wide range of client feedback, which ensures that you can access all of the addressed issues for your Pega Platform version.
To help you keep current with the latest Pega patch, Pega provides you with versatility to apply patches using a process that suits your business and development needs:
- Leverage a same split schema, zero-downtime process, which means you can continue working in your Pega application while you patch your system.
- Use a process that involves Pega application downtime. If you want to apply a patch as fast as possible, use the in-place process which, instead of copying database schemas, allows you to run a command script and restart your system nodes.
- Clients who deployed Pega Platform in their Kubernetes environment can patch their Pega application using Pega-provided Docker images and their existing Helm charts. For details, see Installing, patching, or updating Pega software. To obtain the Docker image for your patch version, see Using Pega-provided Docker images.
To review the list of issues resolved in a given patch, see the Resolved Issues page and select the latest patch version for your release stream. For information about the latest patch for a release stream, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved issues download.
- Patching systems without downtime (for Pega Platform version 8.4 and later)
For releases 8.4 and later, the Pega zero-downtime split-schema patch scripts use a new rules schema and temporary data schema and the patch migration script moves the rules between the appropriate schemas.
- Patching systems without downtime (for Pega Platform versions 8.3 and earlier)
For 8.3 and earlier patch releases, the Pega zero-downtime, split-schema patch process scripts move rules into the rules schema patch, while the scripts move rules and objects in and out of the data schema using an in-place process.