Pega Cloud services updates the underlying environment and supporting services for clients to support the newest Pega Cloud infrastructure features and enhancements. These infrastructure updates are part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates. Infrastructure updates are a separate process from Pega software updates or patches, so they do not affect the Pega software running in a Pega Cloud environment. For information about the latest infrastructure changes, see the Pega Cloud Services release notes.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pega.
Benefits of Pega Cloud services environment infrastructure updates
Pega Cloud services updates your environment infrastructure with zero downtime and without affecting the Pega software. You must follow these best practices to ensure background processes are not interrupted:
- Best practices for writing activities for background jobs
- Best practices for processing files using the file listener
In Pega Cloud services environments running Pega Platform version 8.3.x and later, the environment infrastructure update process is enhanced compared to systems running Pega Platform version 8.2.x and earlier to deliver the following benefits:
- Environment infrastructure improvements now mean faster tier start-up times after the update with as little interruption to your service as possible.
- Consistent search availability while Pega updates the environment.
Infrastructure update considerations
You should plan to have your environment infrastructure update by Pega during your agreed upon standard maintenance window that they defined during the Pega Cloud services onboarding process. For planning purposes, you are notified a minimum of five days in advance and then reminded with a second notification four hours prior to the initiation of the infrastructure update process within the standard maintenance window as defined by the client.
The infrastructure update process waits up to 30 minutes for an activity that is running in the background to finish its work; if it is not finished after 30 minutes, the background process is terminated.
The environment infrastructure update process is part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
During the Pega Cloud services environment infrastructure update process, Pega responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with you throughout this update process, including notification before the update begins and after the infrastructure update is complete.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the update process and, if necessary, work with you to resolve any infrastructure issues.
During the infrastructure update process with environments running Pega Platform version 8.3.x and later:
- For Pega Marketing clients, reschedule any upcoming activities, such as campaigns or job schedulers, to be initiated after the environment infrastructure update is complete. Any user-initiated activities running during the infrastructure update may not complete and require you to re-run it after the update is complete. These activities include campaigns during the moment they are calculating volume constraints. Any jobs running during the update will not be lost, but you may need to restart them after the update is complete.
- Review the notifications that that includes the details of an upcoming software patch. If you must reschedule the infrastructure update activity, click New request in My Support Portal or call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for your region. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.