Pega Cloud services applies patches to Pega Platform running in your environment as well as supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications.
Pega Platform patches bundle the bug and security fixes over a given period into a cumulative release that improves the overall quality of the software without touching the environment infrastructure. To review what is included in Pega Platform version 8.x patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved issues download and Application patch releases.
Pega Platform software updates are a separate process from the Pega Platform patch process. For instance, applying Pega Platform patches does not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information, see Pega Cloud update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later or Pega Cloud update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pega.
Benefits of the patch process for Pega Cloud services environmentsPega Cloud services applies Pega Platform patches to each environment with zero downtime and without touching the environment infrastructure. In addition, there is consistent search availability in the environment while Pega applies the patch to the environment. To ensure the patch process is implemented with zero downtime, you must ensure that any longer-running Pega processes are shutdown prior to the patch application. For details, see the section, Client responsibilities.
Pega Platform patches began with Pega Platform version 8.1, and cannot be directly applied to environments running Pega Platform version 7.x.
Software patch planning considerationsYou should plan to have your software patched by Pega during your agreed upon standard maintenance window that they defined during the Pega Cloud services onboarding process. For planning purposes, you are notified five days in advance and then reminded with a second notification four hours prior to the initiation of the patch application process within the standard maintenance window as defined by you.
Applying Pega Platform patches is part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
During the Pega Cloud services software patch process, Pega responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with you throughout the patch process, including notification before the patch is applied and after the patch application is complete.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the patch process and, if necessary, work with you to resolve any patch issues.
- Remove any unnecessary rules in each patched environment within seven days of the patch application.
During the Pega Cloud services software patch process, your responsibilities include the following actions:
- Reschedule any upcoming activities, such as campaigns or job schedulers, to be initiated after the patch process is complete.
- In order to avoid possible disruption to background processes, you should
consider stopping all background processes before the patch is applied and
restarting Pega queue processors, job
schedulers, and DSM dataflows after you receive notification that the patch
application is complete. The Pega Platform patch process
automatically restarts Pega agents and
listeners after it is complete.
For more information and procedures to complete the pausing and subsequent resuming of background processes, see Managing background processes during updates and patches. Background processes are automatically managed during updates and patches if you run Pega Platform version 8.3 and later.
- Review the notifications that Pega sends that includes the details of an upcoming software patch and CRM patch. If you must reschedule a patch activity, select New request in My Support Portal or call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for your region. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.
- Managing background processes during updates and patches
This content applies to environments that are running Pega Platform version 8.2.x and earlier. Background processes are automatically managed during updates and patches if you running Pega Platform version 8.3.x and later.