To keep your Pega Infinity software current, update to the latest releases of Pega Platform and your Pega applications or apply a patch to your existing software. Update to take advantage of the latest features, capabilities, and security and bug fixes or apply a patch to address important security and reliability improvements.
Pega Platform version naming conventions
Pega patches and updates use semantic versioning, where the part of the version number that is incremented communicates the significance of the change. The version number, in the format XX-YY-ZZ, defines the major version (XX), minor version (YY), and patch version (ZZ), for example, 8.6.1.
Software versions are defined as follows:
- Major versions include significant features that might cause compatibility issues with earlier releases.
- Minor versions include enhancements or incremental updates.
- Patch versions include small changes such as bug fixes.
Patches provided by Pega within a release stream are cumulative, meaning all fixes from earlier patches in the same release stream are included in the current patch. For example, fixes made in Pega Infinity release 8.4.4 are carried forward to release 8.4.5. The latest Pega software patch is always the most stable release available in its release stream.
See the following documents for more information:
- For details about the Pega Infinity patch policy, patching cadence, and the software maintenance policy, see Pega software maintenance and Extended Support.
- For information about the software maintenance policy, such as the patching cadence, see Pega software maintenance and Extended Support.
- For more information about the Pega Cloud patch process, see:
- For more information about applying on-premises patches, see Applying the latest on-premises patch.
- For a list of currently available patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved issues download.
- For a cumulative list of bug fixes that were fixed in prior patch releases for a minor release, see Patch release notes.
Update to the latest version of Pega Platform to apply new features, capabilities, and all available fixes to existing functionality that are backwards compatible.
For updates of Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 or later to release 8.5.1 or later for Pega Cloud services, and for on-premises updates on Tomcat and PostgreSQL, you experience near-zero downtime. The latest update process enhancements include improved monitoring to prevent issues and rolling updates and procedures that maintain high availability so that you can continue to work on your applications during the update.
In addition, for Pega Cloud services updates, you can perform a Go-NoGo decision of your live system (production) environment update, which gives you the option to abandon your update.
If you update from Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 or earlier, or if you update from Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 or later in on-premises environments other than Tomcat and PostgreSQL, you experience as little downtime as possible.
The following table contains a list of documents with information about your update scenario:
Pega Infinity update scenarios and related documentation
|Pega Infinity Release||Environment||Related documentation|
|8.4.2 or later||Pega Cloud services||Pega Cloud update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later|
|8.4.1 or earlier||Pega Cloud services||Pega Cloud update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier|
|8.4.2 or later for Tomcat and PostgreSQL||On premises||On-premises update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later for Tomcat and PostgreSQL|
|8.4.2 on all other databases and application servers||On premises||On-premises update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later for other application servers and databases|
|8.4.1 and earlier||On premises||On-premises update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier|
- Pega software maintenance and Extended Support
Pegasystems understands that security, privacy, and compliance are top of mind issues for all organizations. We are committed to ensuring our products meet or exceed rigorous global security and privacy standards, so you can rest assured your data is safe. Pegasystems expects all clients to stay current because of the important security and reliability improvements delivered with each new release.