Pega Cloud ensures that you have access to the latest features and capabilities of Pega Platform and your Pega applications by performing periodic system maintenance on your Pega Cloud environments. This is part of the standard maintenance policy Pega provides to you as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
Pega updates the supporting infrastructure services of each environment, including:
- Latest security and performance benefits
- Service enhancements
- New capabilities
Pega applies cumulative patch releases of the latest Pega Platform 8.x software to your environments and the patch-supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications running in Pega Cloud environments. Each patch includes important security, supportability, and reliability improvements and bug fixes. The bug fixes are based on a wide range of client feedback, which ensures that you have access to addressed issues across each Pega Infinity release. Patch installation is zero-downtime and includes only rule changes observed between the patch and the current version; patches do not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information about Pega Platform and supported CRM patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved Issues Download and Application patch releases.
- Patch process for releases 8.3.x and later
- Patch process for releases 8.2.x and earlier
- To review the patch support policies, see Pega software maintenance and extended support policy.
Pega updates the environment to the latest major or minor software versions of Pega Platform and the suite of CRM applications running in Pega Cloud services environments. With each software update, Pega commits to making Pega Platform and Pega application software changes that are backwards compatible and include the latest security updates, capabilities, feature enhancements, performance improvements, and supportability enhancements. Software updates for Pega Cloud environments include a cloned environment for validation.
Pega implements a two-phased software update process consisting of a basic update phase and a feature adoption phase. With the basic update phase, you can benefit from the latest performance and security improvements without affecting your existing Pega applications. After the basic update is complete, you can use the feature adoption phase to take advantage of the latest Pega Infinity and application features using your standard DevOps process. The update process features update assessment tools, an updated, cloned environment to complete compatibility testing, and testing orchestration with update pipeline in Deployment Manager. Pega supports near-zero downtime updates and updates with minimal downtime of the Pega Infinity software in your environment:
- Pega Infinity updates starting from version 8.4.2 feature a near-zero-downtime process, so your environment remains available throughout the update process. It also includes a Go-NoGo phase during the production update in which you perform a final confidence check of your applications. Pega updates the production environment only after you indicate a go approval. The entire update process usually takes around 15 days. For details about the minor Pega Cloud update process and the expected experience, see Pega Cloud Services update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later.
- Software updates from previous versions may require downtime and some post-update steps. The entire update process usually takes around 30 days. For more information about the major Pega Cloud update process and the expected experience, see Pega Cloud Services update process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier.