Pega Cloud services is taking action to reduce the energy consumption and carbon footprint of its client environment portfolio by implementing an auto-hibernation process. Pega Cloud services uses this process to pause the cloud resources for your non-Production environments during periods of no-activity usage. Pega Cloud services provides a simple process with which you can un-pause a hibernated environment using self-service controls available in the My Pega Cloud portal.
Before you begin To use the My Pega Cloud portal, ensure that you completed the following prerequisites:
- Allow cookies in your browser settings.
- Contact your Pega Cloud administrator for the cloud-admin role or cloud-change role access privileges. For more information, see Support Contact Administrator Guide.
Pega Cloud Services performs auto-hibernation on qualifying environments roughly at the end of the business week, and automatically wakes up hibernated environments at the start of the business week. You can perform a self-service wake up on a hibernated environment as required for access at any time.
Auto-hibernated environments can be un-paused following a wake-up process. When a client navigates to the URL of an auto-hibernated Pega Cloud environment, they can click on a My Pega Cloud link to go to their cloud setup, from where they can wake up their environment. Environments are typically ready within 15 minutes.
Learn more about the auto-hibernation and wake-up process for your environment through the Frequently Asked Questions section at the end of this article.
Benefits of auto-hibernation
By implementing and tracking auto-hibernation in client environments, Pega can:
- Reduce its overall carbon footprint
- Improve Pega Cloud Services' understanding about a client environment's usage
- Improve startup and shutdown performance and success
Learn more about the auto-hibernation and wake-up process by reviewing the Frequently Asked Questions section further below in this article.
Customizing your auto-hibernation schedule
Clients can customize when their non-production environments automatically hibernate and wake-up. Customization of your auto-hibernation schedule provides consideration to your workforce across multiple time zones when they use your Pega Cloud services environments.
For example, you can schedule your hibernation cycle to start on 9:00 p.m. PST on Friday, and your wake-up cycle to start on 9:00 a.m. IST on Monday.
To customize your auto-hibernation schedule, you can make a cloud-change request using My Support Portal. In your request, include the following items:
- The environment name
- Day of the week, time, and time zone for hibernation start
- Day of the week, time, and time zone for wake-up start
Each environment for which you want to schedule an auto-hibernation cycle requires a cloud-change request.
For more information on the default hibernation and wake-up schedule, see the FAQ
What qualifies my non-Production environment for auto-hibernation and auto-wake
Waking up your hibernated Pega Cloud environment
After a period of no-activity usage, your environment will begin a hibernating phase before entering a hibernated state that pauses usage of system resources. Once hibernated, you wake up your environments through the following method:
- Go to the URL of your Pega application that is hosted in your Pega Cloud environment.
Your Pega Platform instance is replaced by a hibernated environment banner, similar to the following image:
- Click self-service portal to go to My Pega Cloud.
- On the Home tab of My Pega Cloud, on the My cloud setup tile, click View details.
- In the Environments section, in the row containing your hibernated environment, click the More icon.
- Select Wake up.
- In the resulting Wake Up Environment dialog box, click
Frequently Asked Questions about the auto-hibernation process:
Pega Cloud Services automatically hibernates non-production environments that meet this criteria:
- On a Friday, the time is roughly after when environments typically stop usage for the business week.
- Within this time frame, Pega Cloud Services detects two consecutive hours of no activity on the environment.
After meeting these criteria, Pega Cloud Services initiates auto-hibernation on the environment.
On the following Monday, Pega Cloud Services initiates auto-wake up on the environment, beginning roughly at the time environments typically start usage for the business week.
No. Production environments cannot be auto-hibernated. Auto-hibernation will only be performed on qualifying non-Production environments.
What are the different statuses of running and hibernated environments in My Pega Cloud?
- My Pega Cloud uses the following statuses on the My cloud setup tab:
- Running- The environment is running and available for use.
- Hibernating- Pega Cloud Services has detected a period of no activity in your environment, and the auto-hibernation phase has begun but is not complete. You cannot wake up an environment while it is in Hibernating status.
- Hibernated- The environment has paused resource consumption and must be woken up before it can run again.
- Waking up - The environment has been woken up from its hibernated state, and will resume running and consuming cloud resources in roughly 15 minutes.
Environments are typically ready within 15 minutes.
Can I restart a hibernating or hibernated environment?
No. The option to restart a hibernating-status or hibernated-status environment is not available in My Pega Cloud. Once the environment has been woken up, the environment will be available for restart.What if I can’t wake up my environment?
There may be circumstances in which this process takes longer than expected. In such circumstances, the process automatically creates a client-facing INC ticket on your behalf. To see the status of any issues, see the Support requests section in My Pega Cloud. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.What happens to data in my environment during auto-hibernation?
All of the data in the environment is safe. Data is persisted and fully encrypted prior to suspending cloud resources.Who can wake up an environment?
Clients must have access to view and use the My Pega Cloud portal. For most clients, this means that they must be connected via their company’s network prior to accessing their Pega Cloud environment.
For more information on how to gain access to My Pega Cloud, see Self-managing your environments through My Pega Cloud.How does Pega perform maintenance on hibernated environments?
Pega Cloud Services automatically wakes up hibernated environments prior to performing maintenance.
For more information about scheduled maintenance activities, see Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates and Self-managing your environments through My Pega Cloud.Can I proactively auto-hibernate my Pega Cloud environments?
If you are interested in learning more about auto-hibernation or proactive auto-hibernation, you can contact Pega and request more information by selecting New request in My Support Portal.Can I use Deployment Manager while my environment is auto-hibernated?
No, you cannot use Deployment Manager while your environment is auto-hibernated.