You can restart all of the tiers or a specific tier in your dev/test and staging environments in Pega Cloud using the My Pega Cloud self-service portal.
Before you begin
To use the My Pega Cloud portal, ensure that you completed the following prerequisites:
- Allow cookies in your browser settings.
- Contact your Pega Cloud administrator for the cloud-admin role or cloud-change role access privileges. For more information, see Support Contact Administrator Guide.
Restarts are not available during the following scenarios:
- Environments in a hibernating, hibernated, or waking-up status. For auto-hibernation status details, see Managing a hibernated environment.
- From thirty minutes before a scheduled maintenance activity begins until it completes. For maintenance activity details, see Pega Cloud Services maintenance and types of system updates.
If a restart fails, a new support request is generated automatically for the support team to complete the restart.
Restarting your Pega Cloud environment
To restart your selected Pega Cloud environment tier(s), complete the following steps:
- Log in to your My Pega Cloud account.
- In the My cloud setup tile, click View details.
- In the Environments section, in the row for the environment that contains the tiers that you want to restart, click the More icon, and then select Restart.
- In the Restart dialog window, select the reason
category that best describes the reason why you want to restart your
environment. Pega uses this information to guide future improvements to this functionality.
Important: If a restart fails, a new request is automatically generated with your environment details. Do not attempt a second restart; instead, work with your support team to complete the restart.
- Select the tier you want to restart.
- Select All tiers to restart all tiers on the selected virtual space.
- Select Specific tier(s) to choose the tiers you want to restart.
- To add additional details for Pega Cloud services as to why you want to restart your environment, in the Additional details field, enter your supporting information.
- Click Initiate Restart.
- In the top navigation panel, select the
Notification icon to view the status of the restart
After a successful restart, you receive a notification with details about the restart.
Details and considerations for any Pega Cloud restarts
Restarts occur gracefully, without data loss, while maintaining high availability of the environment. During environment restarts, users, both clients and their customers, can continue to access and use their applications in the client's Pega Cloud environments with minimal disruption.
Background processing differences
Depending on the version of Pega Platform running in your Pega Cloud environment, the management of background processing changes. Clients can continue using their system through a restart without data loss.
With Pega Platform 8.3 and later, tiers restart without affecting the Pega software. The restart process includes automated stopping and restarting of background processing. Clients must follow the recommended best practices for using background processing as described in the section Client responsibilities. The restart process waits up to 30 minutes for an activity that is running in the background to finish its work; if it is not finished within 30 minutes, the background process is terminated and the restart proceeds.
With Pega Platform 8.2 and earlier, tier restarts may require client involvement as listed in the recommended best practices for using background processing as described in the section Client responsibilities.
Impact on Search availability
Depending on the version of Pega Platform running in your Pega Cloud environment, clients will see the following types of impact to search functionality as a result of restarting the background processing tiers or all of the tiers in your environment:
With Pega Platform 8.1.4 and later, search is highly available throughout a restart and does not require re-indexing.
With Pega Platform 8.1 through 8.1.3, search is not available until automated Search re-indexing completes. Pegasystems Inc. applies cumulative patch releases for the latest Pega Platform 8.x software to the environment. For details, see Pega Cloud Services maintenance and types of system updates.
With Pega Platform 7.4 and earlier, search is not available during a restart and requires clients to re-index the search. For details, see Using full-text search based in Elasticsearch.
Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities
During the Pega Cloud Services restart process, Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with the client throughout the restart process, including notification if a restart fails.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the restart and, if necessary, work with the client to resolve any restart issues.
- Complete a production restart during either the time requested in the service request or in general, the agreed upon standard maintenance windows that they defined during the Pega Cloud Services onboarding process.
To ensure that a restart occurs with near-zero downtime impact to their environment, clients with Pega Platform 8.3.x and later running must ensure the following:
- For Pega Marketing clients, clients are advised to reschedule any upcoming activities, such as campaigns or job schedulers, to be initiated after the restart is complete. Any user-initiated activities running during restart may not complete and require you to re-run it after the restart is complete. These activities include campaigns during the moment they are calculating volume constraints. Any jobs running during the restart will not be lost, but you may need to restart them after the restart is complete.
- Review the notifications that Pegasystems Inc. sends that includes the details of an upcoming production restart.
- All background processes in their application follow two guidelines:
- Best practices for writing activities for background jobs
- Best practices for processing files user the file listener
- If a client must reschedule a production restart, they should call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for their region.
To ensure a restart occurs with minimal impact to their environment, clients with Pega Platform 8.2.x and earlier running must ensure the following items:
- Clients are advised to reschedule any upcoming activities, such as campaigns or job schedulers, to be initiated after the restart is complete.
- In order to avoid possible disruption to background processes, clients should consider stopping all background processes before a restart begins and then restarting Pega queue processors, job schedulers, and DSM dataflows after you receive notification that the restart is complete; a restart automatically restarts Pega agents and listeners after it is complete. For specific guidance to complete the pausing and subsequent resuming of background processes, see Managing background processes during upgrades and patches.
- Review the notifications that Pegasystems Inc. sends that includes the
details of an upcoming production restart.
If a client must reschedule a production restart, they should call the Pega Support Contact Information listed for their region.
To return to the overview article page, click Self-managing your Pega Cloud environments from My Support Portal.