You can use a comma-separate values (CSV) file to import customer data into your application. By adding or updating customer records in bulk, you can quickly update the Segment. You can import customer data at any time.
- On the Customers list tab of the Segment, click
Note: The import process uses the Data Management functionality of Pega Platform. For details on this process, click the help icon in the wizard to launch the Pega Platform help topic.
- Click Choose file , and then upload the CSV file with your customer data.
- In the Purpose list, select one of the following options:
- Add or update - Creates customer records for entries in the import file that do not exist in the customer table, updates existing customer records, and adds all valid customers to the List Segment.
- Add only - Creates customer records for entries in the import file that do not exist in the customer table, ignores existing customers, and adds all valid customers to the List Segment.
- Populate Segment Only - Adds existing customers from the import file to the List Segment, but does not modify the customer table.
- Click Next.
- In the Match existing records by field, select the data field from your import file which will be used to match existing customer records. For example, select CustomerID. The field used to match records must be unique.
- For each Source field in the import file, specify the Target field mapping. If you previously saved a field mapping template, you can select it from the Template type list.
- Optional: If you selected the Add or update import purpose, you can use
the Update type list to control which fields are updated for
existing customers. To set different conditions for different fields, clear the
Update all fields check box and set the conditions in the
Update type column.
- Click Next.
- Optional: To save a field mapping template, select the Save import settings as a template check box.
- Click Start validation.
Tip: If the validation reports any invalid rows, click the See more link to download a CSV file containing the records which failed to import. The last column in this file contains a description of the error that occurred. Resolve the errors before you proceed.
- Click Continue import.When importing large files, the import progress can take some time. You can close the import window and continue with other activities. The system displays the status of the import at the top of the customer grid. Once the import completes, the system displays the number of instances that were added or updated by the import. If there were errors during the import, the number of erroneous records is also shown.
- Click Finish.