The Context feature in the chat panel header captures the customer's metadata and sends that data from Web Messaging as a payload through the messaging API. The system collects this context data before the live conversation, and presents it to the CSR in an overlay as valuable insight. This feature gives the CSR the option to deduce the customer's intent on approaching the contact center, even before interacting with the customer.
In the above figure, when the CSR clicks the Context button, the system presents the CSR with the customer's general information in an overlay with fields for their IP address, device, and the current page. The CSR also receives customized values, such as First Name and Last Name, which helps the CSR identify the customer. The CSR admin can also configure customized values such as the Contact reason, so that the CSR can deduce the reason why the customer approached the contact center before their conversation. For example, a customer wants to book a flight on an airline website. In that case, the admin can configure the following fields in context data to obtain the customer information before any conversations occur:
- Departure airport: BOS
- Destination airport: HEL
- Trip type: Round trip
- Reason for chat: Need assistance in booking a ticket
Configuring context data
Configure the chat context data (the customer's metadata) to help CSRs analyze customer intent before starting a conversation. The general chat context data points will work without any website configuration, but custom tags require implementation on your website.
To configure the general context data points and the custom chat context data, perform the following steps in the Digital Messaging Manager:
- On the Context data tab (1) configure the following
- In the General information section, select one or
more options from the following chat context data points (2), which the
system captures without any website configuration:
Context data points
Context data point Description IP address The IP address of the customer's device Location The customer's location Browser/device The browser or the device from which the customer is interacting Current page The name of the web page in the website from which the customer is interacting.
- In the General information section, select one or more options from the following chat context data points (2), which the system captures without any website configuration:
- Click Save.
Result: The system displays a message General Information successfully updated.
- In the Tags section (3), perform the following steps to
define the tags that you want to add to your website, to capture the custom chat
context data that is passed to the CSR when interacting with a customer using
When you click Copy code snippet, the system opens a new pop-up window (6) containing the code that you must copy.
- In the Display Name field, enter the data point name.
- In the Tag field, enter the tag that corresponds
to the display name field.
Note: The Tag field must have alphanumerical characters without any spaces and special characters. This field is embedded in the website code.
- Click Add to add the newly entered values under the Display Name and Tag fields (4).
- Click Copy code snippet (5) to copy the code with display names and tags to the web page from where you want the system to track the customer's information.