Create a broadcast data instance to define the text of short messages, also known as welcome messages, news messages, or messages-of-the-day. These messages appear in the navigation panel of User portals when the Dashboard is open.
The following tabs are available on this form:
Typically, a manager in the organization unit maintains the message for that unit. A developer can create a distinct message for each unit in an organization.
For composite portals, the standard section @baseclass.News provides this capability.
Changing the message
Users of Dev Studio can update any broadcast data instance, using the form. Manager updates depend on access roles:
- If you have a SysAdmin access role and use the Manager composite portal, you can alter the text of the broadcast message for the organization unit you belong to without using the Broadcast form.
- If you have a manager access role and use the WorkManager portal, you can alter the text of the broadcast message for the organization unit you belong to without using the Broadcast form.
On the Dashboard navigation panel, click the Create or Edit button appearing in the broadcast message. A pop-up window appears. Enter your brief message--no more than 70 characters--directly into the window and click Save. The new message replaces any existing broadcast message for the unit; older messages are not saved.
Users in Dev Studio can update the message for any organization unit:
- Use the Records Explorer to list instances of the broadcast data class (in the Technical category).
- Open the Broadcast form for the organization unit, or create a new one if necessary. Enter the organization, division, and unit as key parts.
- Edit the Broadcast instance and save it.
The next time a user in the organization unit logs in, the portal News area displays the updated message.
The Data-Broadcast class holds data instances. They are part of the Technical category.