Enable verified users to send text messages (SMS or MMS) to a mobile number that you define for a Twilio account. As a result, users can later interact with Pega Intelligent Virtual Assistant™ (IVA) and your application by sending and receiving text messages requesting more information, reporting an issue, or asking for help.Twilio is a commercial cloud communications platform that lets software developers send and receive text messages, and perform additional communication functions using its web service APIs. Twilio determines SMS and MMS support for your account based on operator settings for your mobile number. For example, if you create a Twilio account for a mobile number that supports MMS, then Twilio also supports MMS.
- Create a Twilio account:
- In a web browser, go to the Twilio portal login page, and then click Sign up.
- Enter your name, email address, and password, and then click
Start your free trial.
Result: Twilio sends you an email with a verification link.
- Click the verification link in the email, and then enter a mobile
number to use with your Twilio account.
Result: Twilio sends an SMS message with a verification code to your phone.
- In the Twilio portal, verify the mobile number for your account by entering the verification code.
- Set up your mobile number for use with the Twilio account:
- In the Twilio portal, click Get a Trial Number
in the Dashboard section, and then click
Choose this Number.You use the generated account identifier and authentication token by Twilio to later configure an IVA for Digital Messaging so that verified users can send SMS or MMS messages to your Pega Platform application. For more information, see Setting up the IVA for SMS/MMS (Twilio).
For example: Twilio generates BA6d82c336e8d135edef20311c2287g8cd (account identifier) and d2377c436100cd1edd0836cf5feab23d (authentication token). Result: Twilio displays an account identifier and authorization token for your account, as well as information about whether your mobile number supports SMS and MMS.
- In the left panel, click .
- In the Messaging section, in the A
Message Comes In field for a webhook, enter the URL
generated in the Webhook section for your SMS
account page in the Digital Messaging Manager.For more information, see Setting up the IVA for SMS/MMS (Twilio).
- Click Save.
- In the Twilio portal, click Get a Trial Number in the Dashboard section, and then click Choose this Number.
- Add test users for your Twilio mobile number:Before your Twilio mobile number is available in a production environment for a Pega Platform application, only users that you set up in the system as verified callers can send and receive SMS or MMS messages for your account.
- In the left panel in the Phone Numbers section, click Verified Caller IDs.
- Click the Add icon, and then click Text me instead.
- Enter the mobile number of a test caller to use with your Twilio
Result: Twilio sends a text message with a verification code to this mobile number.
- Enter the verification code.
Result: The verified user can now send SMS or MMS messages from this mobile number to your Twilio account.
- Optional: To add more verified users for your Twilio account, for example, for testing purposes, repeat steps 3.b through 3.d.