The Application Accelerator is a Direct Capture tool that speeds the creation of new applications, frameworks or the extension of existing applications.
This article describes using the Application Accelerator in V6.1. For V6.2, see DCO 6.2 - Using the Application Accelerator.
It guides you though a series of steps to gather and review the information that is used to create the initial class structure, rules and starting flows for your application. It supports an iterative development approach that allows you to enter, update and save data until you are ready to create the application.
When primed with an application profile, data is transferred into the accelerator's input forms to avoid duplication of effort and ensure project requirements are captured. The data transferred from a profile includes:
- Application name and type
- Business objectives
- Process maps
- Use cases
- Detailed reports and correspondence
Starting the Accelerator
The accelerator can be started, updated, and run by users who have access to the Designer Studio.
Note: Do not run the accelerator using the operator ID Administrator@Pega.com or operators that use the access group PegaRULES:Administrators.
Click next to your current application in the portal header to display the Application menu.
- New Application > Application Accelerator starts the accelerator
Alternatively, you can open an existing Accelerator object from the Tools menu of the Application landing page category.
- Tools > All Wizards displays a list of open wizard objects in your system. Click a row to open an Accelerator object.
This option is useful when you want to find Accelerator objects that have previously been resolved or created by others.
Navigating the Accelerator
When the accelerator starts, an ID prefixed with AA- is assigned and displayed in the header of the window. A set of input tabs display on the left side of the screen, an overview entry window pops up in the center of the screen and an actions list and help icon appear on the right side of the header.
The Application Overview Window
This modal window is the first input screen that displays when you start the accelerator. It can be updated at any time by selecting from the Actions list. It is here that you select the application profile that defaults detail into the accelerator, application options, and enter business objectives. This screen must be completed before you enter information into any of the input tabs.
When you select a profile, the Application Accelerator Option is selected for you based on the options selected in the profile. In this example, the profile is defined for a New Application that builds a new framework. The framework name and version defaults from the profile but can be changed.
The Input Tabs
Located on the left side of the accelerator, the tabs step you through the input screens to capture application information and build the application.
Sets the organization, RuleSet names and specifies the class structure type
Defines work types and their starting flows and maps the high level business processes in a Discovery Map; if an Application Profile is used, its map is transferred to this tab
Specifies how the work types fit into the work class structure of the application
Lists the detail for new reports to be created in the application
Lists the detail for new correspondence to be created in the application
Lists the party role and actor combinations that perform work; this tab appears if you are creating a new application.
Displays a categorized grid of use cases for work types and supporting types where you can add supporting types and add or edit use cases and requirements for the work and supporting types
Lists the rules and class structure that will be generated when you create the application; click Build the Application to build the application from this tab
The Actions list
The actions list is located on the right side of the accelerator header. It gives you quick access to accelerator related actions and input screens that you are likely to use but not directly related to the input of the accelerator. Move back and forth between the tabs and action windows by clicking a tab or action.
|Creates a list of actors who perform work in the application. Actors referenced in use cases are entered here.|
|Displays as the first input screen when you start the accelerator and can be updated at any time by selecting this option. In this window, you select an application profile, identify the type of application you want to create, and list business objectives.|
|Saves work in progress before you exit a window or the accelerator.|
|Withdraws the accelerator object.|
Entering Accelerator Data
Accelerator data is entered in the Overview window, the actors action, and the input tabs.
- Enter the data in the tab or window.
Click on the header of a tab or the action window to display instructions that can help you complete the tab or perform the action.
- Move back and forth between the tabs and actions by clicking a tab or selecting an action from the list.
- Click at any time to save work in progress on the current screen. Although detail entered in the input tabs are is saved automatically as you move from tab to tab, saving work is useful on steps where you enter large amounts of data over a long period of time like the discovery map, use cases, and requirements.
- Click to resolve the accelerator object with a status of Resolved-Withdrawn.
- Click Build the Application on the Create Application tab to build the application.
- Click X in the top right corner of the screen or window to exit the wizard or action. You can modify it later by selecting it from the All Wizards option of the Application > Tools landing page.
Reviewing the Application
The Create Application tab lists the rules that will be generated and displays the class structure that will be built based on the accelerator input.
If you want to update any of the input data prior to creating the application, click the tab you want to update. When finished, click the Create Application tab again to review your changes.
Creating the Application
From the Create Application tab:
- Click Build the Applicationto build the application.
As it builds a group of rules, an animated processing symbol tracks the build process and updates the status of the group. A check mark displays when a group is created. If a rule cannot be created, a warning message appears. Typically, a warning message indicates a duplicate record in the system.
- Click Build the Applicationto build the application.
Click Stop if you want to stop the build and delete the records that have been created.
- When the build completes, click Finish to resolve the accelerator object and display a confirmation screen.
- Click Closeto exit the wizard or click one of these options:
- Switch to new application to change the focus of the developer portal and the application explorer to the new application
- Reopen Accelerator
- to reopen the accelerator object to a delete the application, perform updates, and regenerate the application
- Delete to delete the application
Deleting the Application
There may be times when you want to delete the application built by the accelerator and start over. A Delete button displays on the build and confirmation screens. It also appears on all screens when a resolved accelerator object is reopened.
- Click Delete to display the list of the application rules that were built in a separate window.
- Click Delete All Listed Objects. The accelerator begins to delete the rules starting at the top of the list. An animated symbol tracks the deletion process.
- Click Stop if you want to stop the delete and restore the application.
- When all objects have been deleted, click Close.
This article links to the following articles describing features and functions of the DCO 6.1 release.
Return to About the Direct Capture of Objectives